Watching the world pass by...
The rain continues to fall in the Pilipinas.
Our painting at the school is progressing... the off white that we dreamed about arrived from the shop in a citrus yellow... so we adapted our plans, as we so often have to do over here, and painted the classrooms yellow!
On Wednesday, the church has a mid-week service. I have been given the opportunity to preach/give a devotion. I aim to keep it simple and short... maybe 10-15 minutes. I'm very excited, although somewhat unsure about what will be understood and appreciated by the congregation. English is a moderate barrier... hopefully by talking slowly with basic words, they will follow me. Prayer would be much appreciated!
I thought I'd just post some more photos of this beautiful country... they kind of speak for themselves. The landscape is lush and green. The houses range from comfortable dwellings to drafty shacks. The people are quite friendly and excited to talk to a white person. Little kids talk to us on the street, which is always cute. Often they just practice their English, not quite understanding what they are saying: "Hello how are you fine thankyou," all in one sentence.
Eating purple Ube ice cream (made from the root of some plant)
The church and school building (church downstairs, school upstairs)
My darling
The new school... being painted
I am fighting a killer-sore-throat and the weakness which I often get when sick... I am often having a sleep in the afternoon. The main reason for this is lack of sleep. I get about 7 hours a night, when I usually need 10. Why? Partly because everything in this country is short and low and small... including my short little bunk bed, over which my feet hang. And its also quite warm at night; no bedding required.
We celebrated 1 year today...
The butcher... all open air, with fans and bright lights to beat the flies!
Our shopping trolley... chips and drinks. It probably cost about $4.
A bottle of rum... 40 cents AUD.
The Rehoboth Childrens Home - front gate.
A little Rehoboth kiddy - licking every last drop of ice cream.












happy one year :) that's awesome you get the chance to speak. i'll be praying for you. the kids over there sound and look adorable. stay safe xx
ReplyDeleteHi Roo,
ReplyDeleteHope your body can fight off the virus fast. We'll be praying for that as well as for your devotion/preaching tomorrow - trust God gives you the necessary inspiration for that.
Thanks for all the photos - they're so good for visualising where you are and what you are doing. I'm glad the team has been able to be involved in so many practical projects which will be hugely helpful to the people there. xx mum
AAAH, I LOVE AND MISS YOU GUYS!
ReplyDeleteSo good to see you're having fun/doing good.
Happy 1 year. Make it to 100.
P.s. Rum is a perfect sore throat cure.
ReplyDelete