I thought I'd just write a post about some of the things that interest me and amuse me:
The other day when our African worker sneezed, Gladyce said "Bless you." He replied, "A-men!" Obviously not familiar with that term.
Ugandan roofing iron is so thin, it can be torn with bare hands.
A woman who sometimes cooks at the Village is called Elizabeth, and we have begun to call her "Queen Elizabeth". The other day she was at our house and introduced us to her son, David. Rob greeted her as "Queen Elizabeth" and then asked what David's name was. Without a moments hesitation, he replied "King David." It was funny because he is so shy, yet his response was instant, witty, and biblical.
We worked an 11 hour day today, and have finished nearly everything. Tomorrow we take the day off and listen to the footy final on the radio.
Food at Subi house has been incredibly good. Last night Ron and Anne made us deep fried banana and pinapple fritters with ice cream, and tonight we had fresh and fluffy sultana scrolls.
I have taken 8gb of photos.
On average, we only have power and water half the time. Apparently the government is trying to save resources (thankfully we have solar power for our lights).
Last night I was lying in bed and suddenly thought, "I am actually lying in bed somewhere in the heart of Africa!" Sometimes life here becomes almost normal... yet so drastically different at the same time. People still eat, sleep, work, shop, and study... but all those things are done totally differently.
My talk at the school went really well. I definitely enjoy public speaking (still no nerves), and they seemed to appreciate the message. It was amazing to see such genuine and godly faith being publicly displayed by a group of teenagers. It simply wouldn't happen back home...
I get up at 7 o'clock every morning. (For those who don't know me very well, that is VERY early!)
Safari will be amazing... the park is top notch, and good photos are guaranteed!
I am now tired and going to bed. Adieu.
Roo,
ReplyDeleteSounds AWESOME...
can't wait to hear more :)
Britt
Hi Roo,
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoyed your day off on Saturday:-). So glad your talk at the school went well and you weren't nervous: God was very kind. How strange that you have been in the heart of Africa for 2 weeks now:a surreal experience.
Praying for you and team,
Mum.
Hi Roo
ReplyDeleteLoving your blog - great photos and reflections. Make the most of your last week! May God bless and use you and the team enormously as you serve there. Say Hi to Glenn for me as well.
Pappy
hey man,
ReplyDeletesounds incredible. hilarious/insightful!
good to 'touch base' i guess, even though through blogger. good to hear you are well, and enthusiastic about africa and it's lifestyle. it's heaps admirable to see!
missing you heaps back home, and get ready for some incredible surprises. (aha)
joshua